Friday 30 March 2012

Random Ramble: Shopper's Guilt

Today was payday; and because it was payday I went shopping (I'll show you what I got soon).
After a difficult term at uni, where nothing seemed to happen, but then everything happened at once, and the working month being five weeks long, you could say I deserved to go shopping, to treat myself.

I have always been a bit lax when it comes to money, often being scared to check my accounts, and when I do, wondering 'where the hell has it all gone?!'
My mum worked out a budget for me last year when I began university, and I stuck to it. For the first term. My problem isn't that when I get an influx of a large amount of cash I feel the need to go and spend it all, I fully understand that the money needs to last. It's that I spend little, but spend often, on unnecessary things. A new notebook here, a new top there.

Up until very recently (i.e. about a week ago) if I saw something I wanted, I bought it. I wanted new glasses a few weeks ago, I went into my overdraft in order to buy them. I justified it to myself that I was getting headaches, and frankly my others were too damn small. The thing is, it wasn't a 'need', the glasses could have waited another month or two.

Today I realised I turned a corner when it came to my spending. Even though I had gone shopping, and hadn't spent too much at all I felt guilty. I still feel guilty now.


I took some tips from fellow bloggers (thank you!) and bought a small notebook to write down my expenditures. Hopefully this will show me what away I fritter my money on. Do I really need that bottle of fanta? Probably not. Do I really need another black t shirt? No.

Hopefully today marks the beginning of a more money-conscious Nicola. What do you think?

Thanks for reading x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGNED WITH LOVE: Noir Nouvelle Designs